The RadRover 6 Plus reinvents America’s most popular electric bike
The Rad Power Bikes RadRover is perhaps the most popular electric bike in the United States. In fact, according to the company, it’s “North America’s best-selling e-bike,” and I see the fat-tire e-bike all the time when I walk around town.
Now the company has gone ahead and completely redesigned the bike, bringing a more premium design (and price) with the new RadRover 6 Plus.
For reference, here is the old bike:
And here’s the new one:
It’s a big improvement, if you ask me.
In short, here are the new features:
- Hydraulic disc brakes (instead of mechanical brakes).
- A new 750 W geared motor with 25% more torque.
- A new frame design.
- A thinner, more portable 672 Wh battery that is partially integrated into the frame rather than sticking out like a wart.
- A two-part display with power output, mileage, speed, etc.
- A renewed collection of accessories, including a new rear rack, bbattery terminal cover, battery travel case and USB charger that connects to your bike’s display.
- Mudguards are now included.
- Cables routed inside and now easier to access thanks to a removable cover on the down tube.
- The rear light is now perfectly integrated into the rear mudguard.
- The controller doesn’t awkwardly protrude behind the down tube.
- A prize of $ 2,000.
Like its predecessor, the bike still comes with a front suspension fork, large 4-inch spiked tires, throttle and Shimano 7-speed drivetrain. It’s also available in midsize and midsize frames, which should help it adapt to a wide variety of riders, and the range is estimated at 45 miles, although this will of course vary depending on your use.
The biggest disappointment for me is that the bike still uses a base 12 magnet cadence sensor. Granted, Rad has a better power curve than many, and cadence alone is understandable on more affordable bikes. But now that we are entering the territory of the Big Two – especially America’s biggest e-bike seller – I would have liked to see a more sophisticated torque transducer, especially when there are now multiple bikes sold under $ 1. $ 500 who offer one.
The bike is available for pre-order on the Rad Power Bike website now, with delivery estimated for September.