The Sandisk Extreme Pro Portable SSD V2 is fast – up to 2000 Mbps, aluminum/silicon casing resistant to 2 meter drops and IP55 rating for increased reliability in the field. It’s available in 1, 2, and 4TB capacities and has that handy carabiner loop to hang on to.
The data transfer rate depends on the interface you are using. It’s USB-C 3.2 Gen 2 x2, with a theoretical throughput of 20 Gbps (2500 Mbps). Of course, it slows down with USB-C 3.2 Gen 2 (10 Gbps), USB-C 3.1 Gen 1 (5 Gbps), USB-A 3.0 (5 Gbps), and USB-S 2.0 (480 Mbps half-duplex).
Unfortunately, we don’t have a USB-C 3.2 Gen 2 x2 device to test it to see that blazing speed, but we could try Thunderbolt 4, which acts like USB-C 3.2 Gen 2. Here we broke the barrier 1000 Mbps.
Reviews – Sandisk Extreme Pro V2 Portable SSD
Our test device was a Microsoft Surface Laptop Studio 2022 (2022) – a thing of beauty and envy (review) with a Thunderbolt 4 port that comes as a USB-C 3.2 Gen 2 x1. You can double data transfer rates using a USB-C 3.2 Gen 2 x2 interface.
Using Crystal Disk Mark tests peak throughput. Sequential read/write speeds were 1076.83/1056 – excellent. More impressive is the handling of large files, which means you can render an image on it.
CPDT testing supported read write. Sequential read/write speeds were 889.51/593.47 Mbps.
Black Magic Disk Speed Test examines video rendering. It is capable of rendering video up to [email protected]
- Interface: USB-C 3.2 Gen 2×2 (backward compatible)
- Format: exFAT but can format for any operating system
- Size: 110.26 x 57.34 x 10.22
- Casing: USB-C to USB-C cable and USB-C to USB-A cable
- Theoretical Seq R/W: 2000 Mbps
- Optional 256-bit AES encryption on the fly
- Drop resistant up to 2m, shock resistant up to 1500G and vibration resistant
- IP 55 (Dust ingress is not entirely prevented, but it must not enter in sufficient quantity to interfere with the safe operation of the equipment. Water projected through a 6.3 mm nozzle against the enclosure from any direction shall have no harmful effect).
- Includes WD Discovery software for backup and passwords
- Warranty: 5 years
- Windows, macOS, Xbox X and PS5 (or earlier)
- Price: 1/2/4TB $379/660/1258
CyberShack’s point of view – Sandisk Extreme Pro Portable SSD V2 can be very fast if you have the right interface.
Sandisk is a Western Digital company, and its heritage shows it.
It’s perfect for creators, image rendering, and even use on drones and GoPro as external live storage. It gets our unqualified buy recommendation.
There’s not much point in buying it unless you have the right interface and can use the speed. Because it’s like buying a performance car and only being able to drive on 100 km/h roads.
CyberShack Sandisk and Western Digital News and Reviews
Performance (2×2) 10
Ease of use 9
Sandisk Extreme Pro Portable SSD V2. 1/2/4TB
1/2/4 TB $379/660/1258
Performance (x2 mode)
- The one to buy if you have USB-C 3.2 Gen 2×2
- Very fast over USB-C 3.2 Gen 2 x2
- 5 year limited warranty
- The one not to buy if you have USB-C 3.2 Gen 2 or earlier
- Almost twice the price per GB
- IP 55 is good, but IP67 is better