Posted on July 8, 2022 by Ron Frazelle
Hey kids, remember back in April when I told you about Old Man Mountain’s new svelte rack, the Elkhorn? They are available now for pre-order! The new Elkhorns will ship on July 22, just around the corner. Check the website to get yours before it’s gone.
I’ve had one on hand for about a month, using the Elkhorn on the Tanglefoot Hardtack I’m reviewing right now. I have the Wald 137 basket attached to it via a plethora of zip ties and you best guess this combo will see some s24o (under 24 hour walkers) in the very, very near future.
Anyway, I have some first impressions of the Elkhorn Rack below…so far I’m impressed!
It comes with everything you need to mount the rack to the front or rear of your bike using the bike’s eyelets. Plus, in case you forgot, it doesn’t matter if you have front or rear suspension, with the fit kits available, this rack will fit. The shorter spacers in the photo above are for mounting on the front of the bike and the longer spacers are for the rear mounting option.
Fully assembled and ready to mount on the bike, it weighed 659 grams. It’s pretty light considering Old Man Mountian “confidently rates it can carry 25 pounds”! But, if you’re worried about stressing your trusty steed’s eyelet mounts, the aforementioned QR and ThruAxle fit kits are available.
The deck measures 3.9″ x 10.5″ and has slots that run the length of it, making it easy to run zip ties through to mount a basket or attach gear. There are also holes to mount your favorite light.
This is my first Old Man Mountain rack experience and so far I am pleasantly surprised with the quality of the rack.
Can’t wait to load it up and go camping, stay tuned for the full Elkhorn Rack review coming very soon!
Elkhorn Details and Specs:
- The Elkhorn is available in two sizes; Short and Tall.
- The Short is designed for 27.5 and 700c wheels. Fits tires up to 27.5 x 2.8″ or 700c x 50mm.
- The Tall is designed for maximum mud clearance and bikes with 29″ tires. Fits tires up to 29 x 3.25″.
- Front or rear mounting.
- Made of 6061 aluminum, the racks are light, rigid and strong.
- The rack is made from 1/2″ (13mm) diameter tubing.
- The solid deck measures 3.9″ x 10.5″ (100mm x 266mm). The deck includes slots to easily tie gear in place and holes to mount a light.
- The Elkhorn comes standard, eyelet-ready mounting with optional fit kits available for thru-axle or QR mounting.
- The Elkhorn has a load capacity of 25 lbs/11.34 kg.
- Powder coated in an elegant and refined shade of black.
- If you want more precise fit information, the height from the mounting point to the bridge is 390mm on the short and 430mm on the top. Be sure to leave room for debris and mud clearance.
- Made in Taiwan.
- Backed by a lifetime warranty